Friday, June 24, 2011

The Killing - Season Finale


AMC’s "The Killing" is based on a Danish show called Forbrydelsen.  I guess they thought Forbrydelsen wasn't catchy enough for the American audience.  Unlike most crime dramas, it stays with the same crime for the entire season instead of solving a different case every episode.  This series was intriguing to me from the beginning because it follows the police investigation as well as the lives of the families and all of the suspects.  The first couple of episodes were really great.  The plot kept you captivated by throwing you plenty of juicy pieces of evidence.  I've been around my fair share of crime shows and I am smart enough to know that the first suspect (or in this case the first several) is never guilty.  Toward the middle of the season there were some boring episodes but overall the show was pretty entertaining.

The protagonist of the show is detective Sarah Linden played by Mireille Enos.  Since she is the main character, I assume she is the protagonist but I never really liked her.  Her whole back story is that she is trying to leave town to marry this guy but she can't pull herself away from this one last case.  Come on lady!  You seriously wouldn't miss that many planes and waste all of that money on last minute airfare, especially on a police detective salary.  Also, she consistently has her hair in my second to least favorite style:  a slick back ponytail with no part.  (For those who are interested, my number one least favorite hairstyle is cornrows braided backwards with long wisps down the neck).

So, knowing that this was the season finale, I was excited to find out once and for all who  killed Rosie Larson!  Last week they dropped the bomb that councilman Darren Richmond was the lead suspect and this episode was spent trying to find sufficient evidence to prove he did it.  I was a little disappointed that he turned out to be the killer but was glad they were wrapping things up.  But wait!!  What's that?  We find out in the last 2 minutes that the evidence was fake?  Then Belko, played by Brendan Sexton III (side note: my now deceased family cat was named after his role in Empire Records as Warren) walks up to the councilman as he is being put into a police car, pulls out a gun and BOOM!  Gunshot!  Black screen!

I HATE this.  I hate that I waited all season to find out who the killer was and then just when I thought I did, they leave it all open ended.  I hate that now I have to wait for almost a whole year for the next episode and will definitely forget all of the details between now and then.  I especially hate that last time I checked, AMC hadn't even agreed to pick up the show for a second season.  So I guess we may never know who killed Rosie.   

No comments:

Post a Comment