Wednesday, June 15, 2011

MTV's Real World/Road Rules Challenge

When I was growing up, I did not have cable television.  I was limited to NBC, CBS, ABC, Fox, PBS and "Channel 39" which seemed to only show episodes of Hogan's Heroes.  Sure, I still had TGIF, Charles in Charge, Saved by the Bell, ALF and other great family programs but I knew there were other shows out there calling my name.  If it was up to my mom, we would have just watched Matlock and Perry Mason all the time.  In order to get my cable TV fix I would have to go over to a friend's house.  In the early years it was Nickelodeon.  During my teenage years it was all about MTV.

I made it through several seasons of the Real World.  I watched actual music videos (they used to have those on MTV back then).  I watched Carson Daly on TRL.  I even watched Singled Out with Jenny McCarthy.  My absolute favorite though was the Real World/Road Rules Challenge...which brings me to today.

I still watch this show.  "What?" you say, "this show is not still on the air, it had to have been cancelled 10 years ago"  It has not been cancelled and I haven't missed a season since it began 13 years ago.  I love it!!  I have a weak spot for any show that includes some kind of elimination.  For the past several years, like clockwork, this show has premiered in September with all of the other network fall shows.  However, as I was watching TV in the middle of the night, I happened upon a commercial previewing the next season of the Challenge that is starting next week!  Yes!!

The best part is that they still have some of your old favorites on this show.  For example, this season includes Wes and Nehemiah (Real World Austin 2005), Aneesa (Real World Chicago 2002), Robin (Real World San Diego 2004), and my favorite: CT (Real World Paris 2003).

In order to keep things fresh they keep changing the rules for how the show works.  It is always very confusing (i.e. there are 3 teams, two of which play each other, the winner votes for a loser from the third team, and the loser votes for a winner from the losing team and then you arm wrestle to see who goes to the elimination round and then you vote for which person's mom is the nicest, unless you have immunity) but they still find a way to back stab each other and form alliances.  Quite entertaining.  I highly recommend this show for your summer viewing.

No comments:

Post a Comment